Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Further Than I've Been Before

Shane and I are in GA currently -- visiting his family. We've had a lovely visit and found ourselves without plans today, so we enjoyed a day to ourselves (after some intrusions by work and other responsibilities. . .). We began by heading up to Amicalola Falls State Park. It has always been one of our very favorite places to go. When we lived here, it provided a solace that nothing else could. We enjoyed picnicking, hiking, nature walks, and just hanging out there more times than I can count. Since my fitness level is not everything it could be (read here -- "understatement") hiking to the top has never been within my range. There is a trail (along with about 400 steps to the top, but I will save that for another day. Today, however, I walked up to the first level (where I often stop). It took me a couple of breaks as my body is not used to this mountain walking, and it was a pretty good incline. I went a little further, to the first observation deck, and took a long rest there. Shane encouraged me to go further, but I was intimidated by the sign that said, "Strenuous: 175 Steps". With Shane's encouragement to at least try to go further than ever before, I decided to try -- and made it up all 175 steps -- and back down all the way! This is further than I'd ever made it before, so I was very proud and happy. Then I came back to Shane's mom's and did my pool workout, too! Go me! By the way, I've currently lost a total of 29 lbs!

For today, I'm going to share our southwestern hash browns from this morning. It made enough for two.

Southwestern Hash Browns

2 potatoes
1/2 cayenne pepper (ribs and seeds removed)
1 jalapeno (or hot banana pepper)
1/2 onion
2 cloves garlic
1 T olive oil

Heat 1 T olive oil in pan. Add chopped garlic, diced onion and shredded potatoes. When potatoes are soft, add peppers, diced and salt and pepper to taste. Cook until edges are crispy or to desired doneness. Serve with scrambled eggs and 1 slice of Ezekiel toast with all-fruit spread. Hot and spicy and delicious! (If you don't like hot foods, leave off the cayenne and be sure to take seeds and ribs out of jalapeno.)

No comments:

Post a Comment