Wednesday, August 18, 2010

A Missed Goal is Still Progress

~ Take care of your body with steadfast fidelity. The soul must see through these eyes alone, and if they are dim, the whole world is clouded. ~ Goethe


I started this journey in April -- officially and completely in June. That's 4 months altogether, and in that 4 months I have lost 30 lbs!!!!!!!!!!! I am so excited about that!!! I've dropped over 3 inches in my waist and over 5 inches in my hips!!! That is pretty significant. It is tremendous progress! And yet, I did NOT meet my goal. My goal was 200 lbs by Aug. 15, and I missed it by 6 lbs. I knew it was a lofty goal, but I wanted to aim high. The problem with aiming high is that you've got to be willing to accept if you miss it. And while I am slightly disappointed not to have met that goal, I have come so far! So I cannot begrudge myself the positivity that should come with this milestone. Neither can I get complacent, because there is so much left to do -- so far still to go. I am trying to decide about my next goal. My class reunion is coming the first weekend in October -- about 6 weeks from now, so that would make a great goal. I've been averaging just over 2 lbs a week since I started in earnest. That would be 194. I wonder if I could make it to 190. . . . It's a high (or rather a low :~) goal, but I think I'm going to try for it! 190 by class reunion . . .16 lbs to go!

Losing weight is awesome! But I need to remember that I'm doing this for lots of reasons -- #1 is simply to be a better me -- healthier, stronger, and, hopefully prettier, too. #2 is to balance my hormones to maximize whatever chance I might still have at this late date to conceive. #3 is to lose weight -- for a million different reasons (and I won't list all those :~) But there are some very good ones, including the new BMI restrictions for insurance.

I love Goethe's quote at the top of the page. . .this is the only body I'm going to have -- the only legs, the only ears, the only eyes. . . I need to take care of them so I can enjoy this journey in its fullness -- until the ride ends! Here's to 30 lbs closer to the final goal!

Today I'm going to share a recipe I made up on the spur of the moment last night. I had some ingredients I needed to use -- namely fresh spinach and cottage cheese. I thought about doing a lasagna, but I didn't have any lasagna noodles -- nor any mozzarella cheese. So I modified. Here is what I came up with. It was pretty good.

Green Cottage Pasta

1 lb. brown rice shell pasta
1 T olive oil
2-3 handfuls of fresh baby spinach, chopped
1 cup cottage cheese
2 cloves garlic
1/4 cup parmesan cheese
1/2 onion, chopped
Salt and pepper to taste

Cook pasta according to package directions. In the meantime, heat oil in a skillet. Toss in chopped onion and garlic. Then add the baby spinach, sauteeing until wilted. Add in half the parmesan cheese. Add the cup of cottage cheese, salt and pepper. When the pasta is done, drain it well and add it to the spinach mixture. Add the rest of the parmesan cheese, stir well and serve. If you wish, garnish with a couple of fresh spinach leaves or a shaving of parmigiana reggiana. Serve alone or if you need a heartier meal, add a small green salad or steamed veggie and/or a piece of Ezekiel garlic toast.

1 comment:

  1. Tonnye,

    Congratulations on how well you are doing!!! It is so exciting to be reaching a goal that's been a thus far unreachable goal for a long time. I also love that you share your recipes ... I'm so interested in the new grains (new to me, that is) and I get a lot of ideas from what you share that I'm one day going to come back to!

    And I still pray for that precious little baby all your own to come stealing your way when you least expect it ....

    Love,
    Brett

    ReplyDelete