Monday, October 4, 2010

Falling for Fall

I adore this time of year! The weather is incredible -- I love the cool crispness and the colors of the landscape. Nature wears a rainbow, and it suits it well! Football games, camping, bonfires, soup, toasted marshmallows, Thanksgiving, Halloween. . .

Saturday Shane and I visited our local Farmers' Market, which has been a lifesaver since starting this new program. The Tyrees have a local organic farm and they are one of the regular vendors at our local market.

We grabbed a bunch of baby zucchini, which we roasted in the oven, cut in half and drizzled with olive oil, seasoned simply with salt and pepper -- perfection!!!!!!

We also snared some end-of-the-season cucumbers which have been yummy in salads since Saturday.

I picked up a butternut squash (currently not my favorite, but I am hoping to learn to like it.)

She had some beautiful Hungarian peppers which we've so far had on a gluten free pizza, and are looking forward to trying them some other ways as well.

We tried some persimmons and bought several of those.

And. . . some rubies. . . ruby red sweet potatoes that is. . . I love sweet potatoes -- lots of ways, and I love finding new ways to use them! Sweet potato fries, sweet potato casserole, baked sweet potatoes, sweet potato biscuits. . . . . . . .
when I was with my friend Rachel this summer, I tried them a new way. So here's today's recipe (at the request of my friend, Brett, Rachel's sister):

Sweet Potato Saute

1 large sweet potato
1-2 Tablespoons olive oil (or a little less oil and a little more water. . . )
warm water
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon (or more, to taste)
A generous pinch of cayenne
Optional: Granola or other vanilla almond cereal


Warm olive oil over medium heat. Peel and cube the sweet potato. Add to the warm oil. Add cinnamon and cayenne to coat sweet potatoes. When pan begins to dry out, begin to add water a little at a time. Allow sweet potatoes to soak up liquid and continue to add water, allow it to soak in. Repeat process until sweet potato is tender and cooked through. 15 minutes-ish. . . When done, top with granola or vanilla almond cereal.

I had it for breakfast, but it would be equally good as lunch or dinner. Great sidedish for turkey, or chicken or porkchops. Could be terrific as a Thanksgiving sidedish.

Enjoy!

3 comments:

  1. This sounds SO good. Your recipes here are always so creative! I think I might have to get a sweet potato next time I'm at the store, because now I'm in the mood for fall food (as opposed to my diet here of peanut butter, toast, eggs, and tea, haha). :)

    PS I'm going to an English farmer's market/autumn festival on Saturday and will think of you--I'm ridiculously excited about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tonnye ... thank you so much for posting this recipe! I saw it yesterday, went and purchased sweet potatoes today and have it simmering on the stove as I type ... I know it's going to be good!

    FOR THE RECORD ... I've NEVER looked at you and thought derogatory things about you because of your weight. Ned has struggled too much with his. I've struggled with keeping my tongue under control .... will never forget the night when Ned said, "You know, Brett, some people have trouble with what they put INTO their mouths, but others have trouble with what comes OUT" .... ouch!

    PS ... If you could update your comment posting choices so that people can post Name/URL ... then I can comment as quackandquill instead of my defunct daily duck!

    I love you!
    brett

    ReplyDelete