Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Days on the Farm

I am really blessed to have a family that loves to plant and garden and play in the dirt! Since I had the day basically free, I went up to help out with the garden, since I am enjoying the bounty. . . .Today was the first time I have ever really encountered red noodle beans, and can I tell you something? They are amazing!!!!!!!!!! Daddy has one long row of red noodle beans and I picked two five-gallon buckets of noodle beans -- and could have picked more!!!!!!!! They just hang from the bushes like long red snakes, just waiting to strike. They can truly grown up to 1 yard -- yes, 3 whole feet! They are supposed to be similar to green beans, and I am anxious to try them. I have them waiting on me as we speak to snap and shell. The reviews are all rave, and I can testify to the fact that they are relatively easy and amazing to pick.

It's such a great season with so many things coming off in the garden that is wonderful -- especially if you are trying to eat healthily as I am: tomatoes, squash of varying kinds, cucumbers, etc. After the noodle beans today, I broke some ears of corn, picked some squash and 2-3 pints of blueberries. Then I brought a bunch of tomatoes home and cooked them down so they are ready to freeze. The garden waits for no one.

The recipe I want to share tonight is a really simple, but delightful one -- great for a refreshing treat after a hot morning in the garden. It serves one, but is easily doubled.

Cucumber-Mint Smoothie

one 4-6 inch cucumber, peeled and chunked
4 oz of apple juice or white grape juice
5-7 chocolate mint leaves (you could easily replace with spearmint leaves, peppermint leaves, or a bit of mint extract)
6-8 ice cubes

Put all ingredients in blender and process until ice and mint leaves and cucumbers are finely chopped and smoothie-consistency.

No comments:

Post a Comment