Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Bod4God

I am part of a new weight-loss group. In fact, I've been working with this program for about 15 weeks. . . .it's a great program. It centers around the book Bod4God by Pastor Steve Reynolds. He lost over 100 lbs and outlined his principles in this book. It has a decidedly Christian bent -- focusing on our responsibility to be the best me I can be for God. It's well-organized and gives really great information, balancing the Christian component with nutritional science, and common sense. The coolest part about the way we're doing it is that you have a built-in group for support and accountability. Our church has recently opened the program up to the community and last night we had 31 people in attendance for our second session. Each of the original members of our group is leading a new team of losers. I am blessed to have 4 other people on my team currently. Last night as I was putting information into the computer to be able to contact them all, I realized something amazing -- I am the smallest person on my team! Holy macaroni and cheese, Batman!!!!!!! I can honestly say I have never been the smallest person in ANY group. I am so excited for these four women -- and for myself. We have great places waiting for us; great new bodies. I am praying for our strength, commitment, passion, self-contol. I am praying that we support each other and hold each other accountable - -that we encourage each other. I am praying for life-long friendships. And I am praying that when we start our next session of weight loss challenge that some of these four can delightedly discover that they are the smallest person in their group! Now, if I want to continue my loss, I have to get busy....

Today's recipe celebrates the bounty of the farm in summer. It's one of my favorite summer meals -- great on its own or with some grilled pork chops or rotisserie chicken. To complete the meal, add some slices of garden fresh tomato with salt and pepper. It's also great with cornbread on the side!

Squash, 'Taters, and Onions

Ingredients:
2 T olive oil
4 medium potatoes
2 medium squash (you can use any type summer squash -- yellow, zucchini, patty pan, etc. I think it's pretty to mix. . .)
1 medium onion
salt and pepper to taste

Drizzle olive oil in saute pan. Slice potatoes (with or without peeling [more nutrients with peeling]) into pan.Sprinkle salt and pepper. Let them cook until browned. Add onions. Cook until onions are browned. Add squash. Salt and pepper. Cook until squash are done. (total time should be 20 - 30 minutes.)

Recipe serves 4.

Variations:
You can add chopped bell peppers or basil leaves. Experiment with other spices as well if you like. You can also adjust ratios -- if you really like squash or are watching carbs, do 2 potatoes and 4 squash. If you aren't a big onion fan, cut back on the onion or leave it out altogether!

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment