Tuesday, July 9, 2013

A Long Journey...A Long Time

I am so humbled, and not a little depressed after going back and reading all my posts. It has been a long journey, and a long time since I've posted. I'm still on the journey, but it has suffered some major setbacks along the way! Over the last two years since I posted, the good news is that this eating plan worked beautifully for my infertility, resulting in three pregnancies in that amount of time! The bad news is, that because of my age, all three pregnancies ended in a miscarriage at 8 1/2 - 9 weeks. I'd love to tell you that I stood firm through it all and continued progressing and persevered. . . . but that would be a lie. It has been a hellacious two years, full of ups and downs and depression...and lots of other life-stuff -- roller coasters. . . .Consequently, I have regained so much of what was lost -- and not in a good way! I picked up those 4 ten-lb bags of potatoes again, and am facing all the consequences of that. It's harder to move, joints and muscles aren't working nearly as well. At 46 now, I realize that the chances of a full-term pregnancy lessen each day and probably will not happen. I also know how much better I feel when I'm eating gluten-free and exercising regularly and weighing less. So I am really trying to pull myself up by my bootstraps and start all over. It's not easy. I've let so many of my healthy habits go...but I am working out again regularly -- doing at least 45 minutes of zumba three times a week. I need to get more active daily, need to drink more water, need to cut back portion sizes, need to get rid of some very tempting foods that I've let creep back into my life. It is depressing to think that I'm only 25ish lbs shy of where I started this journey, but at least I am not back at square 1. I am still on the journey. I know it works. I just have to move forward. I've been going backward for far too long. As was my tradition, I'll share with you a fun, healthy meal I'm currently enjoying. Shepherd's Pie was for dinner last night, and lunch today. It's a lovely Irish dish -- comforting and delicious, and full of yummy veggies! Shepherd's Pie 1 - 2 lbs of fresh ground beef 1 bag of frozen mixed vegetables 1 onion, chopped 1/2 package of fresh mushrooms, chopped 4 large potatoes Shredded cheese 1 -2 cloves of garlic Brown ground beef in a skillet, and drain. Add in chopped onions, garlic, and mushrooms Saute until mushrooms are soft and browned Add in mixed vegetables and desired spices Meantime, Boil potatoes in water When fork tender, mash with a little butter and milk. Add in shredded cheese. Top beef/veggie mixture with mashed potatoes mixture and bake for 30 mins or so at 350 degrees. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment