Thursday, July 11, 2013

Habits

"Motivation is what gets you started. Habit is what keeps you going." -Jim Rohn This is such a true quote! For over two years, my eating habits were in a good place, but as soon as I let them get out of control and give up the habits, all the good, hard work I had done was gone. And can I just tell you that getting those habits back are certainly not easy? For two years, and a bit more, I ate almost exclusively gluten-free and refined-sugar-free. I didn't eat at staff parties unless there was something that fit the bill. I only ate at restaurants that had foods that worked within my plan. I was on a roll, and it got less and less hard and more and more normal. I've always been an emotional eater, so when I had the first miscarriage and D&E, I had a pretty major pity party, and before I could finish with one pity party, I found myself in the midst of another. I gave myself permission to eat off my plan "just until I feel better.". But then I didn't feel better. The first miscarriage was in late August. The second came in February (between Valentines Day and my 45th birthday...):-( The third came in September of last year, so I left many of my good habits behind. As a consequence, I have gained back 40 lbs of the 62 I had lost. It makes me angry with myself, and sad, and frustrated, but it was my choice. I gave into my sadness, and now, I am reaping sad consequences. Now I find myself back at a starting over point...creating new habits. Not an easy task, but the good news is...I know I can, because I did. I came further last time than I need to this time. Last time I came from drinking lots of soda, and eating fast food regularly and eating lots of sweets. While my habits are not quite what they were, I haven't totally reverted back, so in theory, it shouldn't be as hard. Already I have re-established my habit of exercise three times a week, and because of that, I'm drinking more water. Also, since I'm working out, I'm more aware of what I put into my body. So the chain reaction, while a lot slower than I'd like, has begun. I am thankful, humbled, and excited! I hope soon I will begin to see progress on the scales, in my clothes, and in my body. However long it takes, it feels really good to be moving forward again. If you find yourself on one of those backward spirals, just put on the brakes, and start over. It's not easy, but it beats the alternative! For today's recipe, I want to share with you a beautiful, healthy salad I made when a friend shared some peaches with me. Peach and Blackberry Salad One peach, sliced A handful of blackberries 1/4 - 1/2 cup plain yogurt Generous drizzle of honey Small handful of mint leaves, roughly chopped Slice peach and arrange on a small plate. Sprinkle blackberries among peach slices. Drizzle yogurt over fruit. Drizzle honey over all. Sprinkle mint over salad and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment